Even since I have been stalking my high school buddies on Facebook in 2004, I can remember the thrill I got inside: “Man, this site is addictive, and I don’t see it going away any time soon”.

As with any growing engine, you have to make sure it doesn’t get too hot too fast, or it will bust. Facebook isn’t at that point yet, but I get nervous when they shell out $50 million to acquire a company that is striving to do the same thing, but do it better. I get even more nervous when that smaller, better site becomes a ghost town, as MG Siegler puts it on Techcrunch.

I’m talking about Friendfeed, a site that has a great user experience for communicating with people and sharing rich content. They do a better job than Facebook when it comes to presentation and interactivity; ask anyone who uses the two regularly. Friendfeed does “real-time” better (I know, I hate that buzz word). Comments come in as they happen… but the problem is, no one is listening.

Everyone is hanging out on Facebook. No one uses Friendfeed anymore.

0 comments:

Post a Comment